CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Friday, July 28, 2023

Book of Hosea Chapter 12 Vs. 8

 The Lord's Indictment of Israel and Judah


And Ephraim said, Yet I am become rich, I have found me out substance: in all my labours they shall find none iniquity in me that were sin. Hos. 12:8


And Ephraim said... Literally, I am simply rich. As if he said, the only result of all this, with which the prophets charge me, is that 'I am become rich:' and since God thus prospers me, it is a sure proof that he is not displeased with me, that no iniquity can be found in me; the ordinary practical argument of men, as long as God withholds His punishments, that their ways cannot be so displeasing to Him.

I have found... The same thing, with a vain boast of what is not in his wealth and substance. If in his gain he assumed his own only to himself, it was praiseworthy; that is, if he took to himself with shame the sinful manner of acquiring it; but he takes the praise to himself, and forgets God; boasts of his wit, though he cannot of his honesty.

in all my... Finally, he hugs himself in the apprehension of close and crafty carriage of all his affairs, that no great fault, no crime, can be found in it to deserve a reproach or punishment. That he hath more reason to believe all is well since it doth prosper, than to suspect any great miscarriage which should deserve punishment. So, this people do at once flatter themselves into security, fearless of punishment, and into hardened obstinacy in sin incapable of amendment.

There is not one place in the verse above, that God is given credit for making Ephraim rich. Ephraim thinks he has done this himself.

Prov. 30:12 "[There is] a generation [that are] pure in their own eyes, and [yet] is not washed from their filthiness."

Ephraim thought he was perfect. He did not feel any guilt for the sins he committed. This is a dangerous place to be in. Those who know they are guilty of sin, seek a Savior.

Oppression (defraud), pride (Ephraim boasts), and insensitivity to her sin, thinking that her wealth would hide her sin.


For Ephraim said, ah, but I have grown rich, I have won myself wealth. None of my gains can touch me with guilt which is sin.


The nation’s pride.

Again, Israel’s repentance (Hos. 12:6) would necessitate a complete reversal in her dealings and attitudes. The nation was permeated by economic dishonesty (mirmâh; cf. Hos. 11:12 for the same word), oppression (defraud), pride (Ephraim boasts), and insensitivity to her sin, thinking that her wealth would hide her sin.

0 comments: