CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Friday, August 25, 2023

Book of Hosea Chapter 13 Vs. 4

 The Lord's Relentless Judgment on Israel


Yet I am the LORD thy God from the land of Egypt, and thou shalt know no god but me: for there is no saviour beside me. Hos. 13:4


Yet I am... God was still the same God who had sheltered them with His providence, ever since He had delivered them from Egypt. He had the same power and will to help them. Therefore, their duty was the same, and their destruction arose, not from any change in Him, but from themselves. God is the God of the ungodly, by creation and general providence.

thou shalt know... I forbade thee to know any other god but me, in gratitude thou should know no other; if there were any other, in point of interest thou should have known, i.e. worshipped, trusted, and obeyed, none but me. And finally, by woeful experience thou shalt know that calves and Baal are no gods. They cannot save thee nor themselves; thou shalt know I am God alone, who can destroy those who would not obey me.

for there is... Israel had put its trust in other nations (5:13; 7:11; 8:9-10), and its own strength (9:6; 12:8; 2 Kings 14:25-28), rather than in the One who is the only Savior. When thy idols cannot save thee out of the hands of those, I deliver thee up to, then thou shalt see, what now thou wilt not, that there is no savior but me. None who can deliver from all evil, and who can enrich with all blessings, who can pardon sin and save the sinner.

Exo. 14:13"And Moses said unto the people, Fear ye not, stand still, and see the salvation of the LORD, which he will show to you today: for the Egyptians whom ye have seen today, ye shall see them again no more for ever."

Acts 4:12 "Neither is there salvation in any other: for there is none other name under heaven given among men, whereby we must be saved."

Once more the Lord reminded Israel of His gracious deeds at the beginning of their history (cf. Hos. 12:9, 12:10, 12:12-13). He led them from Egypt (cf. Hos. 11:1; 12:9, 12:13), cared for lit., knew them in the wilderness (Hos. 13:5) and allowed them to feed in the Promised Land (Hos. 13:6).

0 comments: