CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Friday, December 1, 2023

Book of Hosea Chapter 14 Vs. 8

 A Plea to Return to the Lord


Ephraim shall say, What have I to do any more with idols? I have heard him, and observed him: I am like a green fir tree. From me is thy fruit found. Hos. 14:8


What has I... Questions 14-16. The last in Hosea.

God will be three things to Israel:

1. An observer—manifesting providence

2. A green fir tree—giving protection

3. A fruit tree—providing all things

מֶה מַ־ מָ־ מַה מָה

mâh mah ma meh

maw, mah, maw, mah, meh

A primitive particle; properly interrogative what? (including how? why? and when?); but also, exclamations like what! (including how!), or indefinitely what (including whatever, and even relatively that which); often used with prefixes in various adverbial or conjugational senses: - how (long, oft, [-soever]), [no-] thing, what (end, good, purpose, thing), whereby (-fore, -in, -to, -with), (for) why.

עֹד עוֹד

ôd ‛ôd

ode, ode

From H5749; properly iteration or continuance; used only adverbially (with or without preposition), again, repeatedly, still, more: - again, X all life long, at all, besides, but, else, further (-more), henceforth, (any) longer, (any) more (-over), X once, since, (be) still, when, (good, the) while (having being), (as, because, whether, while) yet (within).

I have heard... Ephraim has totally abandoned idol worship; Ephraim has learned his lesson.

אֲנִי

'ănı̂y

an-ee'

Contracted from H595; I: - I, (as for) me, mine, myself, we, X which, X who.

עָנָה

ânâh

aw-naw'

A primitive root; properly to eye or (generally) to heed, that is, pay attention; by implication to respond; by extension to begin to speak; specifically to sing, shout, testify, announce: - give account, afflict [by mistake for H6031], (cause to, give) answer, bring low [by mistake for H6031], cry, hear, Leannoth, lift up, say, X scholar, (give a) shout, sing (together by course), speak, testify, utter, (bear) witness. See also H1042, H1043.

and observed him... His safety and help is in God. God's eyes are set on Israel to bless him.

שׁוּר

shûr

shoor

A primitive root (rather identical with H7788 through the idea of going round for inspection); to spy out, that is, (generally) survey, (for evil) lurk for, (for good) care for: - behold, lay wait, look, observe, perceive, regard, see.

I am like... The Lord, not idols, will care for Israel. He, not Israel, is the tree providing shelter and prosperity, the luxuriant cypress from whom her fruitfulness would come. The green fir tree speaks of eternal life. God is the provider of all fruit.

רַעֲנָן

ra‛ănân

rah-an-awn'

From an unused root meaning to be green; verdant; by analogy new; figuratively prosperous: - green, flourishing.

We must not depend upon anything on this earth for our source. God is our source.

God speaks: -

"Ephraim, what has he to do any more with idols!

I have spoken for him, and I will look after him.

I am like an evergreen fir.

From Me is thy fruit found."

This version is not without its difficulties; but the alternative that God is addressed, and Ephraim is the speaker-Ephraim says, What have I to do any more with idols? I answer and look to Him: I am like a green fir-tree; from me is Thy fruit found"-has even greater difficulties, although it avoids the unusual comparison of the Deity with a tree The difficulties of both interpretations may be overcome by dividing the verse between God and the people: -

"Ephraim! what has he to do any more with idols:

I have spoken for him, and will look after him."

In this case the speaking would be intended in the same sense as the speaking in chapter 2. to the heavens and earth, that they might speak to the corn and wine. Then Ephraim replies: -

"I am like an ever-green fir-tree.

From me is Thy fruit found."

But the division appears artificial, and the text does not suggest that the two I’s belong to different speakers. The first version therefore is the preferable.

The first statement is best translated, Ephraim shall say, What have I to do any more with idols?” (KJV) The contrast with Ephraim’s earlier attitude is stark (cf. Hos. 2:8; 4:17; 8:4-6; 13:2). The Lord speaks in the latter half of Hos. 14:8 I will answer, and I am like, proclaiming His concern for Israel. The words care for translate the same Hebrew word šûr as lurk in Hos. 13:7. The same God who stealthily watched Israel like a leopard ready to pounce on its prey will become the One who carefully watches over His people to protect them! Comparing Himself to a green pine tree, the Lord also asserted that He is the nation’s source of prosperity: your fruitfulness comes from Me.

0 comments: