CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Thursday, June 2, 2022

Book of Joel Chapter 3 Vs. 4

The Lord Judges the Nations

 

Yea, and what have ye to do with me, O Tyre, and Zidon, and all the coasts of Palestine? will ye render me a recompence? and if ye recompense me, swiftly and speedily will I return your recompence upon your own head; Joel 3:4


Yea, and what... Questions 6-7. The last ones in Joel.


coasts of Palestine... This refers to Philistia.


ye to do... The Tyrians, Zidonians, and Philistines were near neighbors of the Jews, and implacable enemies to them. And are here put for the enemies of the true church of Christ, the Roman Catholics and Turks, and in whose possession those places now are.

These are addressed by the Lord, inquiring or demanding the reason of their ill usage of him and his people: "what have ye to do with me?" to be called by my name, or accounted my people? I know you not, nor will I have any fellowship with you. Or what have ye to do with my people, to disturb and distress them? What wrong have I or they done you, that you thus use them?

will ye render... For turning you out of your land, and putting my people into it? Do you think to retaliate this?

and if ye... By doing an injury to my people:

swiftly and speedily... Bring swift and sudden destruction upon you.

2Thes. 1:6 "Seeing [it is] a righteous thing with God to recompense tribulation to them that trouble you;"

Vengeance is the Lord's. Tyre and Zidon, along with the coastal area of Palestine, were well known for oppressing the people of God. They will now, taste of the very same injury they had done to God's people. They had allied with the evil nations that came against Judah, instead of helping Judah.



In Joel 3:4-8 the Lord spoke directly to the Phoenicians (Tyre and Sidon) and the Philistines, two groups that profited economically from Judah’s demise (cf. Eze. 25:15; 28:20-24). The Lord identified Himself with His people (note Me in Joel 3:4) and denied that these nations had any justification for their actions (this is the force of the rhetorical questions in Joel 3:4).

God then announced that He would repay them for their offenses (Joel 3:4).

0 comments: