CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Saturday, June 12, 2021

Romans Chapter 11 Vs. 1

 

The Remnant of Israel


I say then, Hath God cast away his people? God forbid. For I also am an Israelite, of the seed of Abraham, of the tribe of Benjamin. Rom 11:1



Hath God cast... Questions 72-74. Next, Rom. 11:7. What shall we conclude? Has God cast off Israel completely and permanently? God forbid. I am an Israelite myself and proof that God is not through with Jews, but willing to save all that will believe.

away his people... To thrust away from oneself. The form of the question in the Greek text expects a negative answer. Despite Israel’s disobedience, God has not rejected His people. God forbid is the strongest form of negation in Greek.

We see here again, that Paul is proud of his Israelite heritage. Paul mentions this heritage several times in his writings.

2Cor. 11:22 “Are they Hebrews? so [am] I. Are they Israelites? so [am] I. Are they the seed of Abraham? so [am] I.” And we also read in Paul’s writings:

Phil. 3:5 “Circumcised the eighth day, of the stock of Israel, [of] the tribe of Benjamin, a Hebrew of the Hebrews; as touching the law, a Pharisee;”

Paul is very proud that he was of the physical house of Israel as well as the spiritual house of Israel.

We also see that God never completely gives up on the physical house of Israel even if they have walked away from Him.

Jer. 33:24-26 “Considerest thou not what this people have spoken, saying, The two families which the LORD hath chosen, he hath even cast them off? Thus they have despised my people, that they should be no more a nation before them.” “Thus saith the LORD; If my covenant [be] not with day and night, [and if] I have not appointed the ordinances of heaven and earth;” “Then will I cast away the seed of Jacob, and David my servant, [so] that I will not take [any] of his seed [to be] rulers over the seed of Abraham, Isaac, and Jacob: for I will cause their captivity to return, and have mercy on them.”

God is long-suffering and is always ready to forgive them and receive them back.



God’s sovereign choice fulfilled



To this point in this major section of Romans (chaps. 9-11) God’s personal righteousness and His provided righteousness for people has been displayed primarily in Israel’s rejecting Christ and rebelling against God, and in God’s choosing and turning to Gentiles in grace. These themes continue in this chapter, but God’s sovereign choice also involves His restoring Israel and His being magnified thereby.

In Election Of Grace

Paul’s transition from Rom. 10:1-21 is seen in the repetition of his rhetorical clause “I ask” (Rom. 10:18-19). I ask then is literally, “Therefore, I say.” The apostle’s question is, Did God reject His people? In Greek the question is asked to elicit a negative reply: “God did not reject His people, did He?” This is reinforced by Paul’s characteristic negative ejaculation, By no means! (mē genoito; see Rom. 3:4) Then Paul presented himself as his first proof.

0 comments: