CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Thursday, January 19, 2023

Book of Hosea Chapter 7 Vs. 12

 WICKEDNESS IN HIGH PLACES


When they shall go, I will spread my net upon them; I will bring them down as the fowls of the heaven; I will chastise them, as their congregation hath heard. Hos. 7:12


When they shall... The 9th prophecy in Hosea (Hos. 7:12-16, fulfilled). Next, Hos. 8:1.

Seven Predictions—Fulfilled:

1. I will spread My net upon them (Hos. 7:12).

2. I will bring them down.

3. I will chastise them, as I have told their congregation.

4. Woe to them! They have fled from Me.

5. Destruction is before them (Hos. 7:13).

6. Their princes will fall by the sword for the rage of their tongue (Hos. 7:16).

7. This will be their derision in the land of Egypt.

they shall go... Best rendered: whenever they go. The ultimate ruin produced by this policy of dependence on foreign states and of double dealing intrigue was even at this early stage foreseen by the prophet, and portrayed under the simile of Jehovah’s net snaring the unwary bird.

I will spread... As fowlers spread the net, watch the birds, and cast it over them to catch them, so will God do to Ephraim. So he did with Israel when he accepted the alliance of Shalmaneser, and turned tributary. And again, when Israel sought by Egypt’s help to get out of the snares of their vassalage to Shalmaneser, who revenged the conspiracy with a total captivity. Nor can there be likelihood or possibility these fugitives should escape when it is God’s net, and he spreads it, his almighty power, his all searching wisdom, and his just vengeance, that follows them.

I will bring... Though they attempt to fly, yet as fowls in the net they shall certainly fall, I will bring them down; as he did when they were gathered into Samaria as a net, and there made prisoners, and thence carried captives.

I will chastise... Thus they shall be punished.

as their congregation... Both from the law of Moses which they had with them, and as they had heard from my prophets which I have sent unto them. I will, saith God, make good my word.

Just as the silly dove is caught in the net unexpectedly, they are caught in the trap of their own making. They were unaware that Egypt, or Assyria, was not where their chastisement would come from, but from God. God could use any country He chose to for the carrying out of His chastisement. They had angered God with their actions.

Poor pigeon of a people, fluttering from one refuge to another! But as they go I will throw over them My net, like a bird of the air I will bring them down. I will punish them as their congregation have heard this text as it stands: can only mean in the manner I have publicly proclaimed in Israel.



Worst of all, Israel’s policy had no place for the Lord (cf. Hos. 7:7, 7:10). Consequently He Himself would intervene in judgment. While Israel sought out alliances with all the naiveté of a dove (Hos. 7:11), the Lord would come like a wise and well-equipped Fowler and trap them.

0 comments: