CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Friday, January 8, 2021

Romans Chapter 7 Vs. 16

 

The Law and Sin



If then I do that which I would not, I consent unto the law that it is good. Rom 7:16



If then I... If I am forced to do what I do not want to do, then it is not I, but sin that enslaves by its indwelling power (Rom. 7:16-20).

Paul’s new nature defends the divine standard; the perfectly righteous law is not responsible for his sin. His new self longs to honor the law and keep it perfectly.




No difference of emphasis can be put in this verse on the two Greek verbs translated “do” (even though such difference is significant elsewhere), because the occurrence of those two verbs is reversed in Rom. 7:19. This statement can be made by an unregenerate person in his highest moral and ethical moments, but it can also be said by a regenerate person. There is no reason to conclude that Paul was not describing his experience as a believer at that time. Paul said, I agree that the Law is good. Here the Greek word for “good” is kalos, “beautiful, noble, excellent,” whereas in Rom. 7:12 it is agathē, “useful, upright.”

0 comments: