CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS »

Monday, February 3, 2020

Psalm 91:2

PSALM 91
My Refuge and My Fortress


I will say of the LORD, He is my refuge and my fortress: my God; in him will I trust. Psm. 91:2
He is my... Four things God is to those in the secret place and under His shadow:
1. A refuge or hiding place
2. A fortress or place of protection
3. God, a true and faithful God
4. A trust, a place of security
Or say to the Lord. These are the words of the psalmist, expressing his faith in the Lord in the following words, taking encouragement from the safety of the godly man above described. The Septuagint, Vulgate Latin, and all the Oriental versions, read, he shall say to the Lord; that is, the man that dwells in the secret place, and under the shadow of the Lord. The Targum is, "David said, I will say to the Lord,'' as follows:
refuge and my... A refuge in every time of trouble, outward or toward. A refuge when all others fail. And is himself a never failing one, a strong refuge, which none can break through and into, and in which all that have fled there and dwell are safe.
fortress: my God... What fortifications, natural or artificial, are to a city and its inhabitants, that is God to his people, and much more. He is round about them, as the mountains were about Jerusalem. His salvation are walls and bulwarks to them. Yea, he is a wall of fire about them (Psalm 125:2). They are kept by his power, as in a garrison (1 Peter 1:5).
my God; in... His covenant God, his God in Christ, and who would ever continue so. And was a proper object of his trust and confidence, both as the God of nature, and the God of grace. Who is to be trusted in, both for temporal and spiritual blessings, and at all times. To which his lovingkindness, power, and faithfulness, greatly encourage and engage. The Targum is, "in his Word will I trust.''
We have spoken before about trust. To trust goes beyond ordinary faith. It is like saying, I will rest in the Lord knowing all is well. Notice the determination of the psalmist in saying, “I will say of the Lord”. He has made a definite stand. Notice also, the use of “my”. He may not be refuge and fortress for the world, but He is my refuge and my fortress. Shadowed by the Lord, no harm will come near you. To feel absolutely secure in the knowledge that God is protecting you, brings perfect peace. I will not fear what man can do, with God my refuge and fortress.


God is also the believer’s Refuge (maḥseh, “shelter from danger”; cf. Psm. 91:9 and Psm.14:6) and… Fortress (meṣûḏâh, “strong protection”; used in Psm. 18:3; 31:3; 71:3; 144:2). 91:1-2 admirably expresses the fact that safety is in the Lord.

0 comments: